Skip to main content

Second experiment by Hazel

Making the dough

I used 60g of glutinous rice flour (糯米粉) and 50 mL of water to make the dough of Tangyuan.

Then i divided the dough into 10 balls of 10g each.


Refrigerating the dough 

Half of them were chilled in a container with lid and the other half were chilled on a plate without lid.


Boiling the dough


I cooked one of the dough at certain time interval according to table 1 and 2.
The dough was cooked in boiling water and the time needed for the dough to float was recorded.



Results

Table 1 - Set A - Chill without lid
Chilling time (min)
0
30
60
360
720
Time needed for floating (min)
2:18
2:312:382:561:01


Table 2 - Set B - Chill with lid covering

Chilling time (min)
0
30
60
360
720
Time needed for floating (min)
2:15
2: 302:352:502:56

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weirdest Food I Have Ever Tried

The Weirdest Food I Have Ever Tried I went to Korea recently and I think the worm is the weirdest food I have ever tried It tastes bitter and spicy and I think I will mot try it again. My reaction after eating worms.....

Our Cooking Plan

What is the best ingredient for Tangyuan? Introduction  (Sylvia) Eating Tangyuan is a must in many traditional Chinese festivals.  As the Lantern festival is coming, it would be very interesting to make Tangyuan by ourselves.  When looking at the recipe of Tangyuan, I wonder why it is suggested to use glutinous rice flour, instead of other flour.  T herefore, our group would like to do an experiment to find out the answer. Hypothesis (Priscilla) Using different flour to make Tangyuan ( 湯圓) will affect their size and transparency after cooking Variables (Hazel) Controlled variable: amount of water and flour used to make the dough, time of cooking, time of mixing the dough, size of each Tangyuan Independent variable: strong flour (高筋麵粉), soft flour (低筋麵粉), glutinous rice flour (糯米粉), rice flour (沾米粉), Wheat flour (澄 麵 ) Dependent variable:  size and transparency of Tangyuan Material (Priscilla) 150g Glutinous Rice...